Friday, July 20, 2007


Fifteen "I didn't know that!" Facts
About Animals



1) Ostriches are often not taken seriously. They can run faster than horses, and the males can roar like lions.

2) Seals used for their fur get extremely sick when taken aboard ships.

3) Sloths take two weeks to digest their food.

4) Guinea pigs and rabbits can't sweat.

5) The porpoise is second to man as the most intelligent animal on the planet.

6) Young beavers stay with their parents for the first two years of their lives before going out on their own.

7) Skunks can accurately spray their smelly fluid as far as ten feet.

8) Deer can't eat hay.

9) Gopher snakes in Arizona are not poisonous, but when frightened they may hiss and shake their tails like rattlesnakes.

10)On average, dogs have better eyesight than humans, although not as colorful.

11)The duckbill platypus can store as many as six hundred worms in the pouches of its cheeks.

12)The lifespan of a squirrel is about nine years.

13)North American oysters do not make pearls of any value.

14)Human birth control pills work on gorillas.

15)Gorillas sleep as much as fourteen hours per day.

6 comments:

CableGirl said...

Well, that is and interesting list of facts. :)

mks said...

Wow that is the most amazing list I have read in a long time. I might have to share....linking back to you of course.

Jen said...

That's a great list! Guinea pigs also can't vomit, which can cause great difficulties for them if they ingest something they shouldn't.

Special K ~Toni said...

I can definitely say that I have learned something new! I just want to know why they thought to try out BC pills on a gorilla!

Anonymous said...

Love it, but my favorite is definitely the roaring ostriches. I live in Florida, where there are ostrich farms...I have sometimes thought I would like to raise them (not for food), but this has made me rethink that hazy notion....

Jenn in Holland said...

I don't know. Storing 600 worms in your cheeks seems like a very useful skill! I am not sure which of those unknown facts I like the best. What a great list.