Monday, September 24, 2007

Fun Monday


Lisa, at the Food Snob, is hosting FUN MONDAY this week.

Our assignment is:

"I want to see your favorite recipe, be it either because your grandmother wrote it, it's the easiest thing you can slap together that everyone likes, it makes you feel healthy, it's cheap, etc. You don't have to make it (although you could if you want) but let us see the index card, cookbook, printed paper from the web, and why it's a favorite in your house. If you have a lot, just pick one, I know I'll have to!"

Well, all of my beloved recipes came from my Gea-Mon. We never wrote down recipes we just played around together in the kitchen and made "yummies" from memory.


I honestly loved my mother's raglets, cinnamon syrup and banana pudding.


Raglets are deep-fried pancake batter. Very similar to funnel cakes, only instead pf a round "spider's web" of goodness, Gea-Mom's raglets are dropped into hot oil by spoon fulls. After cooling, they are sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.


Cinnamon syrup was a cool weather favorite at my childhood home. After toasting bread, Gea-Mom made a syrup of scalded milk, butter, sugar and cinnamon. I can't make it as good as my momma, EVER!


And her banana pudding is a perennial favorite. Gea-Mom's pudding is loaded with vanilla wafers and is stunning! I can never make mine as good as her's either!


Like I said, all of my favorite recipes are in my head. I don't have pics of these recipes, but I should. I do, however, have a picture of my beloved Gea-Mom & I. I like it even better!
Happy week, all!
By the way, Robin has agreed to host Fun Monday next week. Pop by her blog Tuesday for your assignment, IF you choose to accept it.....

17 comments:

theotherbear said...

I'd like to try those raglets. And the banana pud! Yum!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of the cinnamon syrup and it sounds great! Well, it all sounds great, thanks for playing!

Unknown said...

I wish I had the memory to keep things in my head. The filing system is broken. I don't know how to repair it at this point.

Amy W said...

Sounds yummy....

Kaytabug said...

Oh those sound oh so yummy!!!

MommaBoo said...

Thanks you all!

Yes, I enjoyed all these delicacies as a child. That's one of the things I miss about not living with my parents anymore. :C

You all are right! The items I've listed ARE yummy.

I'm starving over here! :D

Debs said...

Raglets sounds yummy. I will have to see if I can't make some of those! :D

MommaBoo said...

You're right, Debs. They're awesome!

Melanie said...

That sounds so delicious!!

Karina said...

I love how you decided to go with mom's picture in place of a picture of the recipes!

SwampAngel65 said...

Those raglets sound sinfully good! And banana pudding...yum! Haven't had that in ages. My stomach's growling...

MommaBoo said...

My mother was and is still a wonderful cook. She always tried/tries to make me yummies I enjoy....

She rocks so hard she could be limestone! <-:D

Happy day to you, all!

Molly said...

Your picture with those beautiful smiles is better than food.

ChrisB said...

I've never heard of raglets but from what you described I think I would as they sound rather yummy !

Pamela said...

i want to try raglets.

my4kids said...

Those raglets sound really good!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of these before, but my children would LOVE THEM! No doubts about that AT ALL.

Do you know how hot the oil has to be? Can you cook them in canola??

What precious memories are attached to these yummies :).

(and a happy piccha of you and Gea-Mom to end it all :) ).