Monday, September 17, 2007

Fun Monday ~9/17/2007~

Sayre, from Sayre Smiles, is hosing Fun Monday this week. Our instructions were:

Your assignment for Monday, 9/17 is this:

"Brush off your interview skills. Talk to everyone who lives in your house. I want to know what their, and your, favorite piece of art is in your home. Photographs do not count. If there was a fire in your home, everyone would grab photographs, but what is the non-photographic piece of art you would grab on your way out - and why? (Edit: These don't have to be paintings - these can be wall hangings, statues, lumps of clay by your child, anything that is artistic expression of some kind EXCEPT photographs.)"
Well, to be perfectly honest, we do not own art. My art is photography and scrapbooking (which includes photographs). This is the only ART we have that we/I have.
I have several sketches friends have given me. My mother has also drawn sketches that I honestly consider them absolutely priceless. One is a sketch of my childhood home. Sketches of antique farm equipment and a barn. Sketches, by my mother, myself and friends, drawn on notebook paper collected in a folder in our bedroom. However, they're all "pictures".
When I asked the only other person in my home, my husband, what art he would rescue, he said our picture CD's, my scrapbooks and my "sketch" folder would be in his hands.
We're kinda of boring, I guess, but our ART is all pictures. We may not own Picasso's or Van Gough's, but, the "art" we have is priceless to us.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

we don't have much art either but I love sketches! Your's sound wondeful!

Karina said...

I believe art really can be anything that inspires you, therefore you DO own lots of art, just not the "gallery" kind.

Debs said...

I am with you. We don't have too much "art" in our home either.

It is cool you have sketches...and those alone are art. :)

Anonymous said...

I think scrapbooks are art. (of course, I scrapbook too) I almost included them in my fun Monday post - but went with actual drawings instead.

Anonymous said...

Art is in the eye of the beholder.

Anonymous said...

Can we sometime see your mother's sketches?!?! I would love to see some pictures of them!

Tiggerlane said...

You reminded me that I have an actual drawing of my current house, that my neighbor sketched for us. If our house was on fire, it would be a good idea to rescue the drawing - so that we could remember what it looked like!

Happy Monday - you sure are busy on Mondays, with all your blogger assignments!

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with your thoughts on what art really is.

Pamela said...

the most priceless art of all...
the stuff you buy is never as precious.

(sorry about your poor kitty .. .well your dads kitty.)

Anonymous said...

WOW, Jennieboo, your Monday is B.U.S.Y.!!! Do you do three memes every week???

It's funny, most of what's hanging on our walls I wouldn't refer to as "art", either. My favorite stuff didn't cost a dime--it's about anything my children made :). A lot of that is in boxes, a few things are out around the house.

It would've been nice to see some of the sketches you spoke about, especially since they have so much sentimental value. You painted well with words :).

Anonymous said...

Sketches are really important art especially if done by people we care about on subjects we care about. The antique farm equipment ones sound really cool and something I would like.

my4kids said...

I scrapbook also and in my opinion it is art not just photographs.

Hootin Anni said...

Hey!! Not so, not so....I tellya, art is ALL forms of life, as I said on my blog for fun Monday...it doesn't ALWAYS have to be framed or a picasso.

I love what you wrote. Truly.

MommaBoo said...

Thanks to all who believe scrapbooking is an art. Now I don't feel so "un cultured"!

I will post some pics of my sketchess and such later. In their own post.

Everyone's art was amazing, yesterday!