Monday, August 20, 2007

Fun Monday ~ 8/20/07



Uncaringbear is hosting FunMonday this week. Our mission, should we choose to accept it, is:


"Share with us a little white lie that you may, or may not, have gotten away with. Perhaps it's something more sinister than a little white lie - maybe even a deep dark secret that you've kept buried for years! All the better! Now's your chance to get it off your chest and confess: "Yes, I did eat that last slice of cheese cake", "No, I wasn't washing my hair that Saturday", "Those pants do make you look fat"!


Now how in the world can I possibly reveal a "white lie" I've told before? Those whom I love read my blog and I don't want to hurt them for ANYTHING! That's why I "lied" to them in the first place.


As for a deep, dark secret? I honestly don't have any.


Wait a minute....I guess I have one.But it's not really a secret. I've shared it a family gatherings before.


When I was a child, 7 or 8, my parents, my baby sister and I went grocery shopping one day. We went through the produce department and I saw a load of grapes. White seedless grapes, if I'm remembering correctly.


Anyway, they look SO yummy, so I thought I would pop one in my mouth. Who would it hurt? Coming to find out, it hurt ME!


My daddy looked at me and immediately asked what I had in my mouth. Through the green sweetness, I replied, "Nothing!"


Well. My daddy marched me up to the front of the store, in front of all the check-out lanes, and asked to see the manager.


A Captain Kangaroo-look alike waddled toward us. I swear he looked JUST LIKE Captain Kangaroo.


Anyway, my daddy made me tell the Captain what I had done. I know my face must've been as red as a beet. I couldn't even look at Mr. Kangaroo.


The old guy looked down at me and said something like, "Well, as long as you don't do it again." I felt like a putz. No "spanking" but horrible embarrassment. It worked alright. Someone being disappointed in me has ALWAYS upset me more than "spankings".


Anyway, from that day forward, I've never stolen anything on purpose. Sometimes I've walked out of the store with a coke or something situated behind my purse where I couldn't see it, but I've never knowingly stolen anything since that day.


Curse all white, seedless grapes!


Well, there's my BIG secret...WhooHooo and such.

15 comments:

theotherbear said...

Oh, I am totally going to contemplate using that trick next time my hubby 'tests' the grapes for sweetness when he has no intention of buying any!

theotherbear said...

AND - by the way, my hubby Uncaringbear himself has also added his own take on the topic over at our place now.

Beccy said...

I can only imagine your embarrassment, it works every time.

Pamela said...

I see parents giving their babies grapes and bananas in the produce dept all the time.

Never did that.. always bought them first. OR.. I figured it was okay to buy something that was packaged and prepriced, usually that was cookies or crackers tho and not fruit

Karina said...

Jennie, I totally get what you mean about disappointment being worse than a spanking. My mother was queen of the "I'm so disappointed in you" line when we were growing up. And let me tell you, one of those "disappointed" lectures was worse than any other punishment we could get. I remember my brother saying at one point "Couldn't she just ground us?" haha...

Kaytabug said...

A grape!? I did take a whole pack of gum and my Dad marched me back in the store and got the manager and made me apologize and give it back to include the piece in my mouth!
Oh since you love meme's so much then I tag you for the "Stuart Smalley Meme" if you haven't done it already! It makes you feel so good about yourself!! I think all women should do it!!

Anonymous said...

Darn those seedless white grapes. To tempt such a young soul isn't fair!

Anonymous said...

Those white seedless grapes get everyone in trouble! Who hasn't been tempted to taste them in the store first before buying?!?!

Molly said...

Wow, you are a busy girl on Mondays. I admit to stealing grapes at the grocery at maybe a similar age. I was not caught, but my built-in guilt radar caused me hours if not days of anguish. A spanking would have been easier.

Robinella said...

My sister stole chapstick at around age three. She loved to eat that stuff and my mom made her take the empty tube back into the store and give it to the mgr.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to do that - but my mama instilled the "THEY AREN'T WASHED - YOU MIGHT CATCH SOMETHING HORRIBLE" in me - so I don't dare.

katy said...

oh poor you, but it did work, will you ever use that one!

alisonwonderland said...

learning lessons at a young age is a good thing! happy fun monday!

ChrisB said...

'embarrassment' works well at a young age you feel so mortified!

Anonymous said...

LOL! I hope this doesn't sound mean, but my son was maybe 4, and he decided he wanted to eat, get this a jalepeno pepper. I'm looking at the potatoes and onions, and he comes running with tears in his eyes. He'd bitten into one. I know he's not going to be doing that again. It's all a learning experience. Your dad did the right thing. Embarrassing as it, you learned.